Haldi, also known as turmeric, is a spice commonly used in Indian and Southeast Asian cuisine. It is made from the root of the turmeric plant and has a bright orange-yellow color. Haldi is known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and has been used in traditional medicine for centuries. It is used as a natural dye, spice and also has medicinal values. In Ayurveda, haldi is said to have a warming effect on the body, and is believed to help with conditions such as arthritis, skin conditions, and digestive issues. It is commonly used in curries, soups, rice dishes and also used to make Ayurvedic medicine.
To make haldi milk, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- 1 teaspoon honey (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1 small piece of ginger (optional)
- A pinch of black pepper (optional)
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it starts to simmer.
- Add the turmeric powder, honey, ginger (if using), and black pepper (if using) to the milk and stir well.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the ginger pieces (if used)
- Serve the haldi milk warm and enjoy!
You can also add other ingredients such as cinnamon,nutmeg,cloves or cardamom to enhance the flavor of the haldi milk.